1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Firm News
  4.  → What are my options if my child is injured at a friend’s house?

What are my options if my child is injured at a friend’s house?

On Behalf of | Apr 18, 2019 | Firm News

Sending your child to someone else’s house for a playdate can be nerve-wracking. If you don’t know this friend or their family very well, you might be nervous about all the things that may hurt your child. Many activities are risky to children if there is no adult supervision.

If an injury happens while your child is on another person’s property, you should know who is responsible.

The homeowner could be liable

A homeowner is responsible for the safety of all the people on their property. If there are dangers in their home, the owner is supposed to make sure that everyone is safe. It could be the other parent’s fault if an injury occurs while they were supposed to be watching your child.

If an attorney can prove that the other parent was negligent, you can receive damages from them.

How can the owner be negligent?

The homeowner needs to make sure that everyone in the home knows about present dangers. Wet floors are usually a danger you would expect at a restaurant or store, but your child could slip just as easily in a recently-cleaned kitchen. Other risks include:

  • Pools
  • Trampolines
  • Small toys and other choking hazards
  • Poisonous household items

Different age groups are more at risk to certain dangers. A parent can prevent injuries by keeping an eye on children at all times. If they fail to supervise or properly warn your child, the homeowner could be responsible for any injuries that occur.

You don’t want to worry about your child being in danger when they are supposed to be out having fun. If you are stuck with medical bills and time off from work to care for your child, the effects of an injury may be overwhelming. You should know your rights to hold the other parent responsible for an accident.